Sunday, May 4, 2008

Distance measuring syndrome made easy...thanks to Wikimapia

Are you fond of mile stone ... speedometer...or desi method of measuring distance? I must say I am. While riding my bike I use to look at speedometer to view not the speed but the distance. But this speed distance time have been the nightmere for non-engineering guy... whether its class 9th or 10th or CAT, fact is that it is everywhere. While I am travelling in bus I use to guess how far is my place. How can I get there? While traveling in train I use to measure speed of the train. I tell you one tip... Those 15 telephone poles running besides your track make 1 Km. Now its up-to you. you can use or dump....But why am doing bakar bakar ... But at last you need to tolerate me for getting something .... This is the fact of life ...You can"t get everthing without going through some pain... This is the Suri"s law of philosophy.. and again I am big time fan of philosophy. Sorry dudes can"t break the law and hence can"t tell you my findings in 1 line ...Now time has come for that 1 line Wikimapia had amazed me in may 2006, place IIT bombay, hostel no 3, computer room. That time I was doing internship there. I did not expect to see the nicely edited satellite image. Lot of chunk of time was swept away by the www.wikimapia.org. Histroy repeats itself, but location can vary, this time march 2008 place IIT Kharagpur, hostel Azad, my room..But this time again some innovation has crept in, and this time it is Geo Tools (Upper left corner, put mouse on wikimapia.... here it comes..).. measure area of you home or distance to your college or girl friend house ... not even that, you can send the URL to your friend with the distance marked as red ...Lots of chunk of time have been swept away by the wikimapia... AM I sick or crazy or distance geek .. you can decide and just tell me in my guest book.............. YES I AM THAT ONE .........crazy.

No comments: